Sunday, May 16, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas



Okay, if you're wondering why the picture of these enchiladas don't seem to be that golden brown, it's because it's not cooked. We ate them so fast that I wasn't able to take decent picture of the enchiladas. I didn't want to display the savageness we probably committed on this dish. But anyways, the first time I tried chicken enchiladas there were the most amazing thing I had ever eaten. Back then I didn't bother to cook it myself so I had to wait for my mom's patient's mother to make them before I could eat them. My mom's coworker had the recipe and had the courtesy to give it to us. The first time I made it, I made a good 3 batches and froze them so I could cook them anytime I felt like eating some. Oh, also, I use the La Victoria green enchilada sauce but you can use the red ones if you want. However, if you follow this recipe down to the brand of the sauce, considering it's a big contributing factor to taste, you might be hooked more than you probaly are if you've eaten enchiladas before.

Chicken Enchiladas

4 boneless chicken breast
12-14 corn tortillas
1 (28 ounce) can of enchilada sauce
1 pound of grated colby jack cheese (an entire sealed pack from food 4 less)
salt and pepper to taste.
10 stalks of cilantro for flavoring and color

Preaheat your oven at 350 degrees F.

Boil the chicken breasts in water with a little bit of salt and ground pepper. While the chicken is boiling, grate the cheese if it is not grated already, open the can of enchilada sauce and take out the tortillas from the fridge. It might be good to do this as a team effort considering it's a very quick meal. Usually my brothers grate the cheese and the other brother opens the can. Wash your cilantro as well and roughly chop it. Set cilantro aside.

When you see that the chicken is cooked, let cool and shred. Add a little bit of the enchilada sauce, some salt and pepper as well as a handful of cilantro (but not all, because the rest is meant to garnish the top of the enchilada). Just to make sure this recipe doesn't get too confusing, a small amount the sauce goes to the chicken mixture (about 1/4 of a cup), about half of the container is meant for the tortillas to be dipped in and the rest is to top the entire pan.

Using a shallow pan, heat the tortillas and dip them into the sauce. One of my biggest tip is to pack in about 2 heaping spoons of the chicken filling and a handful of cheese. Tightly seal it without breaking and place in the pan. Once the pan is filled, top with cheese, a little bit of the sauce and some of the chopped cilantro.


It's the same cheese if you're wondering, it's the light that's making this thing look so different.


Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. If you decide to freeze it, make sure it thaws before you cook but if you don't have time for that, cover the enchiladas with foil and cook in the oven. If you stick a fork in there and its still cold, keep it in the oven a little longer. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment